Pickling Peppers

Greetings all!
A while back, I was discussing the need to pickle peppers for winter with my Kosovar family. I told them that if they let me help them, so I could learn, that I would help with the costs. So we picked out the peppers and proceeded with pickling them the other day...all the while with "Peter Pipper picked a peck of pickled peppers..." running through my head.

STEP 1 -Ignore all that you learned regarding USA health codes and find a nice shady place outside to do your work since it will be an all day process.
STEP 2- Cut lots of carrot and garlic. Let Jen take a picture of you (Besora), because you love her about as much as you hate having pictures taken :)

STEP 3- Clean Peppers and pop out the stem and seeds all at once by pushing in with your thumb them pulling the center out complete. This works when they are crisp. When your thumb starts to loose feeling resort to knife.
STEP 4-Take a break because your behind is sore from sitting an a brick for the last 3 hours and go take a picture of your Kosovar Mom (Rabishe) drying pears.
STEP 5 - Stuff each with 1/3 tsp rock salt (1/2 one of their mini tea spoons), a piece of garlic and piece of carrot.

STEP 6 - Layer in a clean container and fill with 2 cups of vinegar, packets of pickling "medicine" and water.STEP 7 - Seal it up and hope for the best in a few weeks!

STEP 8 - Enjoy with freshly baked "Pite" or "Fli" (For those recipes stay tuned!)

All joking aside please keep this family in your prayers with their continued land battle. Please pray that they would continue to put their trust in God, be governed by His peace and soon be freed from the oppression they are under now both literal and spiritual.

Thanks for joining me in my Pickled Pepper Experience!
Zoti ju Bekofte! God bless!
Jen

Comments

What a great post!! I loved the play-by-play, Jen! And I do want to see what you do with all those peppers... incidentally, what kind of peppers are they? They reminded me of pepperocinis...
Unknown said…
Jenjen - you are too cute!

Popular Posts