Adiyos! 5 days till I leave for Davao

Mabuhay! (greetings)
The time is almost here!  I will be leaving this coming Tuesday for Davao, Philippines.  At this point I am planning, Lord willing, on staying through the school year which ends in June however I gave an open ended ticket good through August.  Please keep me in your prayers as I endeavor to learn a new culture and language as well as a new method for ESL teaching.  My desire is to shine as a light for Christ and to be a blessing to those that I come in contact with.

Catching Up
This Summer has been full but fantastic!  When I came back I was graciously provided some part time work with www.mercyprojects.com and then I was off to Texas in July to take an intensive "Perspectives on World Missions" course at the Wycliff center in Dallas.  After that I hung-out with my family, helped at a friends VBS and lead the VBS for Calvary Waco.

Puppet T-Shirt (me) Cousin B-Shirt (Lindsey Cuen) and Samantha Ferrington leading worship at Calvary Chapel Rock Harvest VBS's "Camping with Christ"
  We also had a cameo appearance by Hood.D.Shirt who accompanied our
the singing sensation Justin Beleiver! (see videos on Facebook)

Kids and teachers singing  along with worship at Calvary Chapel's VBS "Treasure Quest" Where we learned about storing our treasure in heaven, loving our enemies as well as a little about the Philippines and the Badjao people
My nieces and nephews in the room I painted for the nieces in their lovely new home.
The CA nephews and Ty's Preschool graduation
Moving on...
Where is Davao you ask?  If you are looking at the Map of the Philippines below and you think, like I do, that it looks like a profile of a donkey's head then I would be down south in the nostril :)

What will I be doing there?
That's always kinda a trick question when I am not yet on the ground but so far the plan is as follows.
  • Tutoring ESL students at Wycliff's Faith Academy (Missionary Kid's School)
  • Helping PBWY Ministries set up a child sponsorship program for the Badjao people group
  • Establishing a jewelry livelihood project among  the Badjao
  • Assisting some local missionaries with computer and communications needs
  • Learning Cebuano (local trade language)
Come with me!
As much as I would like to tuck you all in my suitcase there are other ways to tag along.
  • Send me off...Come to my open house to hang and pray this Sunday 3-6pm
  • Pray with and for me...make sure I have your current email or snail mail (if you prefer) to keep up on how you can be praying for the work in the Philippines
  • Financial Support...occasional financial gifts are of course always appreciates but even a commitment of $5 a month can go a long way to help cover my expenses.  For more info about coming alongside me financially go here.
Check out this video below (done by a similar but not same ministry) on the Badjao People
If you are interested in Sponsoring a child visit the PeaceBeWithYou site.
Click Here

Thank you all for for your gracious continued love and support.
Salamat higala (Thank you my friends)
Jen Mellor

Praise Reports:
  • The ticket is purchased!
  • A functioning laptop with Skype!!! (skype me at Jennifer.Mellor)
  • Wonderful friends and family who have graciously hosted me during this furlough
  • Calvary Chapel Murrieta for being such an awesome sending church

Prayer Request:
  • I still need to recoup $400 back to the church for my ticket and I am still in need of a few more regular monthly supporters to be where I need to be for living and ministry expenses
  • Adjusting to the climate, culture and language
  • My ESL students and catching up since they started school already
  • Keeping God first a midst the busyness that is the missionary life

Comments

Popular Posts