Squeaky Feet!

A little boy is laughing at himself.  When all else fails,oneself, is always good for a laugh.  Oneself is especially funny when seen in the shiny chrome airport bench.  I find these benches singularly uncomfortable while my little friend finds them singularly entertaining.  I find him entertaining.  His genius mother has shod the little tyke with squeaky shoes.  Every move he makes, every step he takes...he squeaks.  Brilliant mommy.  She will never loose him.  He is like a kitten with a collar bell.  He is now performing little short legged jigs triggering a symphony of squeaky splendor.  I am sitting for 8 hours awaiting my next flight.  I would have gone out to explore Manilla but I am alone, don't know the city and am phone-less.  My phone left me.  I had no idea we were on the outs...but alas, he is gone!  Is it possible that he preferred the Taxi driver's company to my own?  Or maybe he hopped out of my purse to have his own adventures.  Especially inconsiderate of him seeing as I just filled him with 6$ of phone credit.  Eat and run...fine be that way.  Irritating.  There are always more expenses in the beginning that one plans for.  Man I am thirsty!  What is it about air travel that makes you feel like a sponge abandoned in the dessert?  All the moisture in my body is gone!  Oh wow they have Arizona iced teas! "How much?" I ask the adolescent looking cleark. "530 pesos" "What?" (that is a round trip taxi ride) "Um ok how much for the water?"  "30 pesos mem"  "I will take the water thank you."  I answer with a smile.  I like to be called ma'am by respectful men but here it is part of the vernacular left over for foreign dominance.  I am uncomfortable at the title bestowed on me due to my passport.  A little girl in a strawberry red dress and bloomers is throwing a fit.  I bet she would be happier if she had squeaky shoes.  I am trying to figure out the lively game show that I am watching.  I think it has something to do with how long you can hold a note.  It's all about singing here.  Kareoke EVERYWHERE!  No matter if you have the pipes to sing or not.  Just sing!  I appreciate that aboutthe people here.  American's are too wrapped up in themselves to just sing!  Dancing too for that matter.  Now I cannot dance to save my life but I loved learning the traditional dances in Kosovo.  No one had to be Usher in order to cut a rug.  Hold hands and walk in circle.  Got it? Yup.  You too can dance!!!  Speaking of dancing there is another little boy putting on a floor show.  He is in jean "shorts" that reach his ankles and gold (yes gold) hightops.  He is mixing ballette piroettes with skipping with karate chops all sealed up with random macho stances. 10 for style little buddy!  Squeaky's Mom has put a hoodie on him which covers up his lime green ensemble.  It has gone from 90's with 75% humidity down to 70 something with slightly less humility due to the air conditioner.  This is the Filipino's version of "sweater weather".   I can't believe how many TV commercials there are for skin whitening cream.  They want to be white and we white people want to be tan.  The grass is always greener untill you get there and realize that it is just astro turf.  All the commercials now I notice are peopled with VERY white skinned Asien actors.  The sea of beautiful dark faces are fixed to the screen and it makes me sad.  I guess American doesn't have the corner of trying to convince people that they are just not good enough.  If we could only see ourselves through God's eyes.  Squeaky has been at it for at least two hours but has finally passed out in his Mother's arms.  Apparently his energy was too much for her too because her head is nodding over him.  I wonder what God sees when He looks down on His children.  Some of us are singing ourhearts our completely off key while others are doing happy little jigs.  All I can think of is the children's song "Red, yellow, black and white we are PRECIOUS in HIS sight.  Jesus loves the Little children of the world."  In whatever small way. Lord thank you for making me part of Your big picture to share that love with Your precious children.
"Since you were precious in My sight, You have been honored, And I have loved you; Therefore I will give men for you, And people for your life. " Isaiah 43:4

Comments

cindy mellor said…
Amazing how you turned a miserably loooong airport stop into an entertaining point of view that only you could have. You are always amazing to me. Love you, mom

Popular Posts