All That Wander are Not Lost


     “Why are the numbers wrong? They are counting the wrong way.  What happened to exit 22? Did I loose it?” I thought to myself, thoroughly confused, last night as I navigated my way though Orange Country.  I was on my way to speak at a new church plant and had unknowingly gotten on the wrong freeway.  So here I was driving along the 55 instead of the 91, without the convenience of a smart phone or GPS, trying to read the printed map by my dome light without taking out the car next to me. I pulled off the freeway into a Big Lots parking lot to try and deduce what I had done and where I was. I decided that the best course of action was to just turn around and drive till I got to a place I recognized. So often is the way of life.  When you feel a bit lost and overwhelmed its always good to go back to the place that you last knew God’s clear direction.  When you loose your bearings you must go back to the familiar peace of His presence.  If you are like me and would rather press on instead of back track this can be a challenge.  It's better however to loose a bit of time to regain your bearings and be headed in the right direction than spend energy and, in my case gas, only to get further lost.

A watercolor I did inspired by Rev 8:4
     All the way to the church, running an hour late, I was wondering if it was at all worth it. Should I have just headed home?  I was pretty exhausted a long couple of days without the proper amount of sleep.  I arrived and slipped in the back pew of a small community church where the group was meeting.  The preacher was talking about choosing gratefulness.  Due to being late I had no time to set up a power point with my pictures or the table that had the display and jewelry that I bring with me everywhere.  “Ok God,” I prayer wearily, “Here I am stripped down and simple. Use me to encourage these people.”  After the service Pastor Ren caught my eye and had me come up to the too short mic.  So as I am greeting the little group of people I am squeaking the mic stand trying to avoid being hunched over.  I shared briefly the journey that brought me to serve in the Philippines and what I did there. Afterwards the whole group laid hands and prayed for me.  As the air was infused with the sweet smelling oil that they had spread hand to hands and placed on me, the room was infused with their sweet prayers as one man prayed over me with his precious Hawaiian accent, “Faddah please bless Jennifer...”  
I imagine that God smelled the fragrance as well.

The smoke of the incense, mixed with the prayers of God's holy people, ascended up to God from the altar where the angel had poured them out.Revelation 8:4

     I chatted with a member of the church about how she was sharing God's love with a Persian woman she had met.  Just hearing the amazing ways God was reaching this hurting Persian lady through my new friend strengthened my faith.  She was asking my advice when in fact the Holy Spirit had guided he to do exactly what I had to go to trainings to learn.  Talking to her reminded me that it is the Holy Spirit who is passionately pursing people.  We must simple be available, listening and obedient to love people boldly.

     After joining the group for a meal of spaghetti and meatballs and more conversation I headed home.  Again I got lost. I know by now you are thinking. "Man! Someone get this gal a GPS!" I took the first freeway I saw heading south and then called a friend to help me navigate my way home.  As we both puzzled over the right next path to take I realized that I was coming up to the place I had gotten lost earlier that night.  That realized I regained my bearings as was able to plot my course home.  I was laughing telling my friend that I was no longer lost because of getting lost earlier that night.  

“In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.Proverbs 16:9

     This morning as I reflect on last night and the various things God is doing in my heart and life. As I stand at the helm of my life’s ship, if I hold white knuckled to the wheel it gives no room for God to direct me.  God is not a pirate.  He won’t take my ship by force.  In the desire to control my course I can boldly be going where many have gone before in the very wrong direction.  When that happens I must bring ‘er about and go back to the place where I know God gave me my last orders.  Sometimes however I am too cautious.  I would rather stay in my comfy little slip in the harbor.  In those times I think of this quote by a visionary and pioneer Admiral Grace Hopper.

Admiral Grace Hopper was a pioneer computer programmer and the oldest living member to in the Navy. Known for her vision, wit and vigor she has a U.S. Navy Destroyer and a SuperComputer named after her.
     When I am in Texas I love to take my nieces and nephews on drives through the beautiful countryside outside of my brother place in Waco.  It is not too uncommon for me to get lost.  Ian my perceptive nephew is always asking me “Aunti are we lost?”  “No” I answer “We are not lost we are EXPLORING!”




Comments

Popular Posts