The Tyranny of the Urgent

Emine's kids looking at themselves in the camera

“I’m busy... just don’t have time!”  How often do we find ourselves saying that.  I myself am one of those people who is too often caught up in the Tyranny of the Urgent.  I get sidetracked from the things I really need to do by those things that I think I have to do right now!   Weather you are a busy Mom, a career person, a boss, a worker or a missionary we all fall pray to busyness.  Recently I have been reading two really helpful books.  The Tyranny of the Urgent by Charles E Hummel and the  God’s Wor God’s Way by K.P Yohannen.  Both talk about becoming free from busyness for busyness sake and trusting God with your tasks and your schedule. They have both been challenging me to take back my schedule and put it in the hands of God.  That does mean saying “No” or “Let me think about it.” or “I am not sure right now.” more often but it is worth it to avoid burnout and remember Who we are working for.

“Your greatest danger is letting the urgent things crowd out the important.” Charles E. Hummel

Recently I was visiting a widow named Emine.  Usually I would be so stressed I would be thinking about how to exit but because I am practicing giving my time to God I felt led to stay a while.  It turned into a really lovely visit.  I spent time teaching her little kids how to draw some simple designs while eavesdropping on the adult conversation around me.  I was able to learn more about Emine and how her husband fought for life for two weeks after his constriuction accident before he died.  There were two other ladies visiting so I was able to hear their passionate frustrations with the current government state.  I was able to see the tears and hear the grief of Emine’s sister in law who has been married many years but still has not been able to conceive.  It was a window into their world that I would not have gotten if I had to rush off.  Getting to know these ladies takes time.  Listening to their hearts cannot be rushed.

Evangelism and Discipleship are also other tasks that cannot be rushed.  They take time and that is what we are giving to those God has placed in our paths.  The English school has been a wonderful way to impact with our community as are the kids meetings.  Please continue to pray that those bear eternal fruit in the lives of the children and their families. Please continue to pray that we listen to God and stick to His schedule as opposed to our own so that we don’t let the urgent crowd out the important.


Comments

Popular Posts